Thursday, March 22, 2012

Umm... What was the question again?

Remember when I said this should be easy because the school work is 6th grade level and below? I forgot that fractions were part of 6th grade math. Addition of mixed numbers. So there I was, trying to explain to this kid that you must change both mixed numbers to improper fractions, get a common denominator, and then add, but he doesn't understand... I wasn't even sure if I understood. Well, he didn't understand MY process. So I did the whole problem my way and he did it his way. We came out with the same answer. His process was just getting a common denominator then switching the mixed number to an improper fraction. You wouldn't think that this kind of volunteer work would challenge your own education, but it does. I realized just how much I don't remember. I can remember learning things, but I couldn't tell you what exactly I learned. Like, the difference between sedimentary and igneous rocks? Nope, don't remember. So, a word of advice, don't come in here thinking you'll know absolutely everything. Don't think you're smarter than a 5th grader, because chances are, you're not.
 The answer is... Give me about 10 minutes to remember how to do the problem and another 20 to actually find the answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment